Industry Insider - The Rise of Internet Radio
Posted on November 23, 2012 by Jamie Ashbrook
Internet Radio Rises!
More and more listeners are tuning into online radios, according to a study conducted by Targetspot. The reason being is due to these key factors -
- Social media has made it easier to follow, share, and interact with stations via the medium with sites like Twitter and Facebook, growing listener figures from everywhere around the world.
- Device agnostic users can now gain access to stations through desktop computers, tablets, and smartphones.
- Numerous stations gives freedom to listen to a selective type of station or genre of music.
- Engaging listeners through advertisements, social media, forums, and blog posts interact with users which in turn improve features and provide user driven stations.
The study also confirmed -
- “73% of Internet radio listeners change stations multiple times a day.“
- “61% of listeners don’t keep player minimized, 64% often check the player for song/artist info.“
- “80% of internet radio audience listens for 1-3 hours per day, 40% listening 1-2 hours per session.“
With the number of growing smart phones and tablets the listener audience for mobile devices is growing rapidly, here are stats for Internet Radio Listeners in 2011 -
- Computer/Laptop – 97%
- Basic mobile phone – 54%
- Smartphone – 51%
- Tablet – 15%
Stats for Internet Radio Listeners in 2012 -
- Computer/Laptop – 95%
- Basic mobile phone – 42%
- Smartphone – 62%
- Tablet – 28%
In summary listeners are more connected, interactive, tech aware, and have the freedom to choose thousands of user driven stations. Have you started yours yet?